Time Management Thoughts On New Year’s Day
Make a list
Got some things you need to get done? Make a list. It’s not hard. It is hard to remember everything you have to do without a list. Write it down. This works for the young and the old, in spite of what your kids tell you. Once you have a list it’s a good idea to prioritize the things you want to do. This will help you avoid wasting time. I also like to put things in what I call “My driving order.” With the cost of gasoline rising again, it makes sense to order your tasks in a way that makes driving sense. Don’t run an errand in the south part of town, go to the north and then back to the south. Put all your “south” tasks together. Once you have you list, use it! Don’t forget to look at it. Often.
Spend your time wisely
Make good use of your time and, who knows, you may have some free time. Do things during the day to help you make good use of your time.
- Always have something with you to write on and to write with. Take lots of notes as you go through the day.
- Carry your list with you so you can add and cross things off of it.
- When you are working on something important, be sure you are in a place where you can dive in and get it done. Close the door to your office. Put the phone on “Do Not Disturb.” Turn off the sound your e-mail program makes every time an e-mail arrives in your In Box.
- Use the restroom before you get started.
Do things for yourself
If you don’t take care of yourself mentally and physically you will not be able to use your time wisely.
- Eat healthy food. Junk food may provide an initial burst of energy, but the downside isn’t worth it. Eat right in order to use your time more wisely.
- Exercise every day in some way or another. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Take a walk during lunch. Walk around the office. More is better when it comes to exercise. Join a health club and read a book while riding the bike, or using the treadmill.
- I am not a nap person, but I have read that taking a short nap can make you more productive for the rest of the day. Up to you to try this one.
- I like to hang around fun people. People who don’t take themselves too seriously. People with a sense of humor. People who are happy. I believe it’s contagious!